Saturday, July 3, 2010

Matthew 11:28

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

It seems that today everybody is in a hurry and everybody is tired. I know I am. Sometimes it is that "good tired" which comes at the end of a productive day when the rest is as sweet as a nice refreshing long cold drink. But much of the time it is just plain tired and worn out and an honest appraisal of the day shows little that has been produced. There is a lot of activity in my life, but sometimes little is produced by that activity. Sometimes I feel like I'm running at top speed just to stand still. Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Of course it does. It's a fact of modern life that as our ability to do work increases because of the technology available, the workload also increases and the expectations of success increase. It's on these days when I'm getting sick and tired of being sick and tired that I find sweet rest in the arms of Jesus. Very often we see prayer and communion with the Lord as hard work. And sometimes when engaged in spiritual warfare or intense intercession it can be. But mostly, for me, it is "my refuge and my strength." I don't even have to say anything. I can focus on his dear face, his goodness, his grace, his mercy and his love and I know that he feels all of my pain and exhaustion. At that time he begins to minister to me his rest. Sometimes I fall asleep praying. I don't think that is an especially bad thing, because Jesus is the Lord of my sleep.

Are you feeling heavy-laden? Is the workload getting more intense and the hours shorter? Are the expectations of others overwhelming you? Don't run for the pill bottle. I know one who can beat any calmative. His name is Jesus and he will give you rest for your soul. Amen and Amen.

No comments: