Thursday, July 1, 2010

Haggai 1:9

"You looked for much, but indeed it came to little; and when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why?" says the LORD of hosts. "Because of My house that is in ruins while every one of you runs to his own house" Haggai 1:9

Sometimes we are on top of the world; other times we are in the pits. Ever wonder why?

Have you ever tracked your spiritual development and compared it to your financial status? I have, and I sometimes find that when I have sin abounding in my life, my financial status does a serious reversal. I have also discovered that I have received plenty of warning and opportunities to repent before the inevitable happens. Oh, one more thing: I have taken note that I am a slow learner.

Perhaps you have noticed the same thing happening in your life. Oh, it may not be financial, it may take the form of emotions, or family relationships, or failing friendships, or any number of other things including illness, but it still happens.

It is for certain the Israelites who returned from captivity needed a reminder and it was an all-too-familiar event that brought them to their knees. Drought. That's right, the rains were withheld and crops failed and famine was spreading across the land. Then, at the right moment, Haggai hears from the Lord the words we read in today's verse. These folk had returned to Israel to rebuild the Temple. That was their mission. And what had they done? They built homes for themselves while God had no dwelling place.

If we continue to read in this little book, we will find the rains come, the famine ends, the profits return, after the people fulfill their mission. It has proven to be the same in my life. I have witnessed it myself all too many times, I told you I am a slow learner. I have witnessed it in the lives of many of my friends, they seem to be slow learners, too. Because of this, I am not going to be hard on you. But I do encourage you to check your relationship with the Father if you are in a time of "reversal." Amen and Amen.

No comments: