Saturday, June 12, 2010

1 Sam 15:35, 16:1

"And Samuel went no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul, and the LORD regretted that He had made Saul king over Israel. Now the LORD said to Samuel, "How long will you mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? Fill your horn with oil, and go; I am sending you to Jesse the Bethlehemite. For I have provided Myself a king among his sons." 1 Sam 15:35, 16:1

Humans, by nature, are hoarders. We Love, L-O-V-E STUFF and hold on to things that mean something to us. Carmel has a jewelry box in her drawer that has several items it in. She doesn't use them, she doesn't even use the box, but she has to keep it. In it are items that mean something and she can't bring herself to throw away.

Sometimes we collect memories. We cling to them like a tick on a dog. Now this is not necessarily bad - unless the clinging makes us useless. That is the position Samuel was in. He was clinging to Saul - his pet king - his failed pet king! Now Samuel wasn't alone. God was sorry that He had appointed Saul king. But life had to move on. God had to shake Samuel up to get him moving - trust me, if God spoke to me and said "how long are you going to cling to those memories?" - I would be shook up. The interesting thing is that Samuel had already anointed David to be king in Saul's place - and we all know that David was to be a much better king than Saul ever dreamed of being.

As I read these verses, I had to stop and take inventory of my life. Am I clinging to dead projects? Is my testimony fresh, or is it the same one I started with 20 years ago? Am I alive in God, or am I mourning over what I thought should have been. It may be that God has already set in motion something much better than my old memories - but it cannot be delivered because of my obstinate clinging to the old, musty things.

Perhaps you need to take inventory as well. Is God calling you to move on? Does He have better things in mind for your? Are you dragging you feet? Step up please. Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: