Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Psalms 27:14

Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!" Psalms 27:14

If you read the rest of this psalm, you will see that David has found himself in a tight spot. It seems like everyone is an enemy. No one likes him. Trouble surrounds him. So what does he do? He waits.

That's not a bad strategy - as a matter of fact - it's a stroke of genius. Most of us squirm and rant and fight our way out of tight spots. That's just the way we are. We think there is nothing we can't handle - nothing we can't get ourselves out of.

As a kid, I used to play with Chinese finger locks. Those are a woven tube. You stick your fingers in each end and find that you are stuck! You can't get out. No matter how hard you pull, the lock just gets tighter. The first time I was in one, I found myself a bit unnerved by my inability to escape. Then someone taught me the trick. Instead of pulling, you relax. When I gently pushed in, the grip was released and I could extract my finger - oh what a relief it was!

David had learned that the tighter the spot, the more he needed to relax. He knew he was trapped in such a way that he couldn't get out. All he could do was sit down and wait for the Lord to rescue Him. When that realization struck home, he became encouraged. Safety was on it's way. The cavalry would arrive in due season and the rescue would be complete. The enemies would be routed and peace would replace war!

What tight spot are you in? Relax. Call upon the Lord and sit still. Wait on Him. Don't struggle. He will set you free. Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: