Monday, July 13, 2009

Johnn 9:8

"Therefore the neighbors and those who previously had seen that he was blind said, "Is not this he who sat and begged?" Some said, "This is he." Others said, "He is like him." He said, "I am he" John 9:8

I can imagine that the healing of the blind man created a stir. The neighbors were looking at the formerly blind man and asking if it was really the one they remembered. Some were sure that it was. Others thought their minds might be playing tricks on them. Still more of the neighbors said, "It can't be ... can it?" I can imagine the disturbance that fellow walking without his normal "aid" created. It surely could have been the talk of the neighborhood for days - or perhaps even weeks.

Honestly, I don't understand the confusion. If this fellow was a long-time neighbor, surely they would have recognized him. Now if the shoe was on the other foot, I could understand completely. The formerly blind man would not recognize anyone until they spoke. "Hello. How are you?" the healed man might say. "I'm fine. But are you who I think you are?" replies the neighbor. "Oh! Hi, Mrs. Smith. I didn't recognize you until you spoke. By the way, thanks for the lemon pie you sent over last night. It was delicious! And, I must add, you won't have to send any more goodies over, though I will miss them. You see, now that I am no longer blind I think I will learn a trade and support myself!"

The neighborhood would never be the same. A true, honest-to-goodness miracle had taken place in their very own housing development. The blind man wasn't blind anymore! Will miracles never cease! "Oh. By the way, how did this happen? Who is your doctor? Is he new in town? I have a bad case of the rheuma ...You say it was the one who is known as Jesus? The rabbi from Nazareth? The One known as the carpenter's son? Yes, I have heard of Him. I know they say that He performs magic tricks. Oh! It's not magic. I'm sorry. I hope I didn't offend you. Yes, I see that you once were the blind man. Uhh. Sure. I can tell that you can see. 20/20 you say? Can you read that sign across the street? Oh. You haven't learned to read yet? Yes, that is the butcher shop. Wow! You really can see!"

Yes, there was a stir in the neighborhood, but the neighbors would not be the only ones disturbed by this miraculous event. Guess who some well-meaning busybody called? We'll see what they think of it tomorrow. Amen and Amen.

No comments: