Friday, July 17, 2009

Phil 3:20-21

"For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself." Phil 3:20-21

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We cling far too hard to this life. We all claim to want to go to heaven -- but not today! We become ill with a possibly terminal disease - and we fight it with all our resources. We want to stay alive. Why?

There is the need of family and responsibilities. We want our children to grow up with a mother and a father - and that is good. We want to make sure our children and grandchildren are able to go through university if they want to - and that is good.

There is the need of excitement. I don't know what life has to offer tomorrow, but I want to try it. I've not done all the things I want to do yet. I haven't tried sky diving, or bungee jumping. I haven't seen Spain, or Greece, or Israel. I haven't been on an Alaska cruise.

There is the need of fulfillment. I don't think my life is finished. There is still a lot of work to do. I have a motorcycle to build, a trip to take, a job to finish. We could even be spiritual - I haven't preached the perfect sermon yet. I haven't . . . and the list could go on and on and on.

The simple fact is this: if we didn't cling so hard to this life and all its needs, and clung instead to God, maybe we would be living life fuller. We have our life mapped out. But don't you think that God could map you a more exciting route? I suspect He could - and would if we let Him. We want so much to get from point A in our lives to point B, that we forget that God may have some special things for us along the way. If we will let Him be our guide, if we will claim our citizenship in Heaven instead of on earth, if we won't cling so hard to this life, then God will make our lives much richer than we could ever dream possible. And all that stuff that keeps us on earth? It is nothing compared to what God has in store. The BEST is yet to come. Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: