Thursday, July 30, 2009

Matt 16:24

"Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me" Matt. 16:24

The older I get, the more questions I ask. Why did Jesus tell the disciples that the person who wants to follow Him must take up his cross?

Peter certainly needed some reassurance. I know when I get a good dose of correction I need to be reassured that I am still loved. These words were meant to reassure Peter - and direct his enthusiasm in proper channels. Jesus gently informs the disciples (he included them all so Peter would not take things too personally) that they would have to suffer if they were to continue following in His footsteps. "Deny yourself," He said.

I don't particularly like that thought. I like to eat when I want to. I like to sleep when I desire the pleasure. I like to go where I want, do what I want, and say what I want when I want to say it. Most of us are like that. But, if I deny myself, then I have to put the priorities of someone else (Jesus in this case) above my own. If Jesus wants me to go to Queen Mary Hospital and visit someone in that hospital and I want to go to the movies, I must go to Queen Mary Hospital. If Jesus wants me to pray and fast for fourteen days and I want to eat at Outback Steak House, I must submit to the fasting and praying and abandon my meal at Outback Steak House. My mind hates the thought. My body rebels at the first hint of hunger. The whole concept of self-denial is foreign to the unregenerate human soul - even the sanctified human soul.

And along with the self-denial is the "taking up the cross." The cross is not some pretty thing we hang around our necks and apply to our lapels. The cross is an instrument of torture. Who among us would desire to take up an electric chair and follow Jesus? But that is what we are asked, no required, to do. It is more than bearing a burden. It is laying down my life - dying to myself - and Jesus tells us to do it daily!

I know that when I forget to do this on a daily basis - and fail to do it for quite some time - I get into trouble. My defenses become weak. My willpower is unplugged. And I die - not to myself but to God. I find that I am walking alone and the slightest root in the path causes me to stumble. The smallest temptation lures me into troubled waters. Being on my own, I think I can save myself - after all, all I have to do is turn around and go back the way I came. However the quicksand of sin only drags me deeper with every movement. It is not until I cry out for Jesus that I find myself being lifted out of the pit - and I can do nothing to help. Jesus does the redeeming, the saving, the cleaning, and the healing.

Peter needed to learn to deny himself and take up his cross. I need to do the same thing. Do you? Amen and Amen.

No comments: