Sunday, July 5, 2009

Psalms 126:5

"Those who sow in tears Shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

I still remember that some years ago, I was talking to someone about ministry, and suddenly, as often happens in such counseling sessions, the Lord dropped something into my heart that I shared with the person. I (well, He, but he used my lips, so maybe we is best) said, "You know out of tragedy often emerges ministry. Ministry is often the return we make on our investment in tears."

I had never thought of it in those terms before - "An investment in tears." I thought of those farmers in ancient Isreal, as they set aside part of the grain, knowing that they might even go hungry and miss a few meals, but also knowing that they had to sacrifice a few meals to produce the next season's crop.

As I look over my own life and see the sorrows I've endured, I also see that from those investments in tears have come many of the ministries I have today. God has taken my sorrow and turned it into the joy of service for him. When someone is hurting in a way that I hurt, I can empathize with them and say sincerely, "Hey, I know it is rough right now, but God can see you through. Let me tell you what he did for me."

So, if today you find yourself facing great sorrow hard times, just remember that your tears are just watering the ground from which an abundant harvest will grow in due time. Amen and Amen.

No comments: