Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lev 20:7-8

"Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am the LORD your God. And you shall keep My statutes, and perform them: I am the LORD who sanctifies you." Lev 20:7-8

A member of the Royal Family and a big bottle combine to consecrate a big ship - commission it - set it aside for service in the Royal Navy. When the big bottle of champagne has been smashed on the bow of the huge ship, it becomes an official warship.

Ceremonies like this happen all the time. Our daily newspaper shows "ribbon cutting" ceremonies that mark the grand opening of new businesses. Board members dig the ceremonial "first shovel" of dirt to commemorate the beginning of a building project. Photos are taken of the people who built the first product off a new production line.

We like to consecrate things, set them aside. We hold holy convocations and ordain deacons, elders, ministers, missionaries and church secretaries! We anoint the doorposts of our church buildings and homes to consecrate them, set them aside, to the Lord.

How often do we consecrate ourselves? "Oh," you say, "I did that when I was baptized as a child." Or, "My parents did that when I was born." Yeah, sure. But have you done it lately? I find that I have to consecrate myself daily. Why? Because I am continually de-consecrating my self! How can that be? The Royal navy can de-commission that new ship at any time simply by saying so! I can de-consecrate myself by becoming unholy, loosing my sanctification, my purity, and I do it far too frequently.

The Lord is calling for His people, you and me included, to consecrate ourselves and BE HOLY! Why? Because He is God, our Lord and Savior.

So, what happens when I'm consecrated? I'm set aside for the service of the King. I do whatever He asks of me. I study His Words so that I may know Him. It is our job to consecrate ourselves, set ourselves aside, for the King's service. It is His job to sanctify us, that is to make us holy. He can't do the first job for us. We certainly can't do the second! Amen and Amen.

No comments: