Thursday, March 24, 2011

Col. 3:23

"And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men" Col. 3:23

The other day I was in a five star restaurant, and quite frankly the service was very slow. I heard a couple of waitresses talking. One of them was complaining about being reprimanded by the manager for not serving a customer expeditiously. Apparently she let the customer sit for 10 or 15 minutes before waiting on them because she was talking to a friend on the cell phone. She was very upset about the fact that she was reprimanded and she was saying to the other waitress "I don't see why I needed to be that anxious to work after all if it's just a part-time job."

Sad to say, I think a lot of Christians treat the work they do as being only important enough to get by. However, I think if we read scripture we can see clearly that God expects us to do more than simply get by

In Colossians Paul tells is that we are to do everything heartily as unto the Lord. That word heartily means from the very depths of your soul with great enthusiasm. That means it doesn't matter how much you're getting paid on the job or how many hours that you're spending there, you still do that job with all of your energy.

If you're doing something in church, if you've taken on a job teaching a Sunday school class, leading a song service, being in the worship team, whatever you do, you do it heartily as unto the Lord with great enthusiasm, with great excitement. Paul goes on to say that it is of the Lord that you will receive it your reward. Think about this when you go in to work today don't think about doing your job for the boss, for the manager, for the supervisor or even for the customer or client. Think about doing your job for God.

If Jesus walked into the store where you are a clerk, how would you wait on him. If Jesus was a student in your class ,how would you teach that class? If Jesus was a patient coming into your medical office how would you treat him? I am quite sure that we would treat him with all our skills, we would be most courteous to Him. Well, Jesus says "in as much as you have done it unto me least of these my brethren you have done it unto me."

So today, let's decide on a different way to do our work. Let's do our job as if Jesus Christ was supervisor. I can guarantee that if you do the it will radically transform the way you do business. Who knows, you might also find a greater degree of satisfaction in the work that you do. Lord, today let me do my job as unto you and not as unto men, knowing that it is from you that I will receive my reward. Amen and Amen

No comments: