Saturday, March 5, 2011

Eph 4:1-3

"I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with long suffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." Eph 4:1-3

As I was pondering the "prisoner" aspect of this verse, I began to realize that Paul's comments were not only about his prisoner status, but also about you and me. As a prisoner of Jesus Christ, Paul is calling us to walk worthy of our calling.

What is our calling? We are called to be a child of the King. Now that's a calling. Some time ago, I was reading an article in a business newsletter by August A. Bush IV - the great, great, great grandson of the founder of the Budweiser Brewery in St. Louis. I almost didn't read it because it was written by a beer monger, but my curiosity got the best of me. One of the things that struck me is how Mr. Bush IV walks in a manner worthy of his calling. He is a fourth generation beer man. He is in the business. He is the chief salesman for the business - just like his fathers before him. He started at the bottom of the business and worked his way up. He will most likely replace his father at the top. His son Mr. Bush V, will start at the bottom - and replace him in due course. Mr. Bush IV is most worthy of the name he carries and is proud of it, I could tell by the way he spoke of his role and his business.

So, how should we walk since our calling is greater? Humbly, without pride in our own efforts giving all the glory to our Father and preferring each other above ourselves. Gently, careful to do no damage, but to do all things well. Patiently, perfection, whether our own, or the work we do, or the work God is doing in us or other people, takes time. Be willing to wait. Lovingly, Peter says love covers a multitude of sins. Our love can help someone else overcome his sin. I've seen it happen many times. Someone is lost and antagonistic towards the kingdom, but because a friend or loved one keeps on loving, even when it hurts, that person is eventually brought to the Father for adoption as one of God's children. Preserving unity, how can you preserve unity? By keeping all the other items in this list. Above all, walk as a child of the King of Kings would walk!

Who is more worthy of the calling? August A. Bush IV or you? I believe you have the greater calling. And I believe you are worthy of that calling - because you are chosen by God to be His son or daughter! Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: