Thursday, June 16, 2011

Prov. 22:17-18

"Incline your ear and hear the words of the wise, And apply your heart to my knowledge; For it is a pleasant thing if you keep them within you; Let them all be fixed upon your lips" Prov. 22:17-18

Our elders used to say, "Be careful what you say, you may have to eat your words." At least twice in the Bible prophets had to eat a scroll or book. Ezekiel had to eat a scroll in Chapter 3 of his book. John ate a book in Revelation 10. In both cases the word was the Word of God. Also in both cases the taste was like honey - sweet. However, John's book gave him a stomach ache! I have had to eat my words - and they didn't taste like honey either. Few of us like to admit that we said something that was wrong. Another proverb tells us that it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open our mouths and prove it!

I admit. I used to be a know-it-all. (Carmel, hush. Don't you dare tell them that I still am!) OK, she is right. But at least I try to keep my knowledge to myself unless it is asked for. It is times when I open my mouth and volunteer my "wisdom" that I get into trouble.

Solomon has a bit of wisdom for us. If we will listen to his advice, and if we will seek knowledge, and if we keep his advice, it will be pleasant for us. I don't know about you, but that kind of struck home with me. Solomon was, and is, the wisest man to ever live. Why don't I read more of his words? Proverbs is not on my favorite reading list. There are some who read a chapter of Proverbs every day - there are thirty-one chapters and about half of the time there are thirty-one days. That makes for a nice combination. But it has been years until now that I have read the whole book. I sometimes pick and choose what I want to read from Solomon's little book of wisdom. We should all read Proverbs. That way we would be getting some of the wisdom that Solomon has to offer us. Amen and Amen.

No comments: