Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Heb. 11:3

"By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible" Heb. 11:3

I've heard it and I'm sure you have too. "You must step out in blind faith." I've always wondered what "blind faith" is. Is it limited to those who are physically blind? Does one have to be totally blind to reality to have it? Exactly what do people mean when they use the term and is it a biblically based concept?

I had a dream once. I was walking in a pitch-black night. Nothing could be seen; even my hand was hidden from sight if I held it inches from my face. As with most people, after a while I became totally disoriented and was afraid to move anywhere. This was especially true when I heard the sound of rushing waters immediately in front of me - or was it all around me? The sound seemed to move from front to back to side and back again. Darkness does that to a person's senses. It seems like I prayed in the midst of that dream for I heard a voice saying, "Take one step at a time." I questioned the wisdom of that advice ... until I looked down and saw a faint glow on a rock immediately in front of me. I stepped out and the light became brighter illuminating the single step I was to take. As I moved each foot forward, a light illuminated the next step, and the next. Never was more than one step lit. Always the light glowed as I took the next step. I don't recall reaching a destination, but I do know I was filled with a peace knowing that the Light, which I know is Jesus Christ, directed each step of my path.

Was that "blind faith"? Some might say it was. But I know the truth. My faith was founded on two things. The first was the Voice. The second was the first glimmer of the faint light on the first rock. No, this was not blind faith. It was faith in Someone I had confidence in.

The Hebrews writer tells us that "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Heb. 11:1) He would assure us that there is no such thing as blind faith. In today's verse, he tells us that our faith, our confidence, is in a power much greater than ourselves. We look at the world around us and know that it was made by the spoken word of God out of apparent nothingness. Liberal thought would have us believe that the world "just happened" when for some reason a single particle of something unexplainably moved out of its predetermined path and struck another particle of something - they call it the "big bang theory." Yeah, sure. And where did the particles come from? And why did one of them deviate from its ageless path? The answer is vague stammering because there is no answer in neither scientific nor philosophical thought.

True faith is never really blind. It is founded upon the power and authority of one we can trust - the God of creation. While it may seem to be "blind" at times, the truth is that faith is based upon a reality that is more real than the keyboard I am using to write this epistle. When we have learned to trust in God, the most outlandish sounding command from Him is nothing but a foregone conclusion. He has made it possible. He will make it come to pass. All we have to do is take the first step... and the next ... and the next... until we reach the destination He has set for us.

Blind faith? The world might think so. But you and I know that the faith we have is never blind, but built upon the creator of all reality. Go ahead. Take the first step. See the light glowing dimly? Trust in the God who created the light and the rock and the river and you. He works all in perfect harmony. Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: