Monday, June 27, 2011

Isa. 6:4-5

"And the posts of the door were shaken by the voice of him who cried out, and the house was filled with smoke. So I said: "Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The LORD of hosts" Isa. 6:4-5

Oh, sinner man, where you gonna run to?
Oh, sinner man, where you gonna run to?
Oh, sinner man, where you gonna run to?
Oh, sinner man, where you gonna run to all on that day?
Traditional Folk Song

I am positive that this is the way Isaiah felt when he saw the vision of the Lord. He wanted to hide. You and I would have wanted no less. Being in the presence of God would be a frightening event - and Isaiah knew more than anyone that he was a "sinner man"! He even recorded his thoughts for us to read nearly 2500 years later. "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts." He was ready to die. He knew the consequences of seeing God. He knew it was death - it always had been. And it would have been this time except for one very important action. An angel flew to him and touched his lips with a burning coal taken from the altar of the Lord. The burning coal cleansed our budding prophet and made him fit for an audience with the King of Kings. (I'm certainly glad that I have been redeemed by the blood of the Messiah. I'm not sure I am ready to have my lips touched with a burning coal from anything!)

Isaiah made himself available when God called for someone to go for Him. "Here am I, send me." We know Isaiah as one of the "Major Prophets," the author of one of the most read of the Old Testament books. In his writings, he foretold the coming of the restoration of Israel, the coming of the Messiah, and the nature of the new Kingdom of God. In the process, he tells us part of the history of the world and the nature of the conflict of which the earth and its human inhabitants are the prize to be won. Isaiah is a great man! But it wasn't always that way.

He was just a simple man like you and me. He was a sinner looking forward to the saving Messiah, "sometime," and until the Messiah came he was prepared to offer his peace offerings to the God of Abraham in order to roll his sins back for another year. That all changed when God called him. And Isaiah's response to God's call was the moment that Isaiah ceased being a "simple sinner man" and became a "mighty man of God."

That event is the only thing that makes Isaiah different from you and me. He answered the call. Then again, you and I may have already answered the call of God. I know I have... several times, for the call of God is seldom a one-time event. And it is seldom static. When God finds a person willing to be used of Him, He continues to use that individual for many other events. The only two questions remaining for us are these: 1)have we heard the call, and 2)are we willing to say "Here am I, send me"? Amen and Amen.

No comments: