Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rev 2:10

"Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life" Rev 2:10

This verse starts with an ominous tone: "Do not fear what youare about to suffer." That's kind of like the doctor who walks into the room saying "Now, I don't want you to worry, but . . ." Sure. Don't worry. Don't fear. OK. Let's get this over with. What am I about to suffer. Remember that Jesus suffered. At the end of 40 days of fasting,He suffered serious temptation. At the hands of the religious leaders of the day, He suffered ridicule. Finally, in order to pay the penalty for the sins of all mankind, He was beaten, abused, stripped naked, nailed to a cross, and died. Our Lord knows a bit about suffering. Not too many of us have suffered to that extent. Also remember that our heavenly Father is keeping His eye on us - not to pry, but to protect.

So, He knows what we are about to suffer. What is it? "Behold,the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days." The question is: "ARE WE READY?" If this word were spoken directly to you, what would you say? "Hey, I'm outta here. Suffering was not in the contract!" OR "Well, I suppose the devil is ok. After all, God created everything - including Satan - so I'll just make friends with him. Perhaps he will go easy on me." OR " Come on, Satan. I've been looking for you and I'm ready." "What's that?" you say. "Thrown in jail? What for? Testing? Hey,I graduated from university years ago. I don't need any more tests." Perhaps you have already read the last part of the text, "ten days." "Oh, that's ok. I can surely endure prison for 10 days!" STOP! In the scriptures, 10 is a number of judgment and trial and tribulation. In this case, 10 days means the trial will lasta while, but the time is predetermined. It will not go on forever. That's supposed to be an encouraging word -- IT WON'T LAST FOREVER! And it fits whatever you are going through right now. IT WON'T LAST FOREVER!

"Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life." Jesus encourages us with these words - be faithful. I think we can do that - ONE DAY AT A TIME. Be faithful until death - some of the Smyrnan believers would die in their prison cells. Some would die from the persecution. But they could be faithful. As an incentive, Jesus promises the faithful a crown of life! So we are faithful a day at a time until we finally die. Then we trade our fleshly tents in for a crown of ETERNAL LIFE! What a trade! The perishable for the imperishable. The sick for the whole. The dying for the ever living. I'll take it! How about you? Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: