Friday, February 11, 2011

Jonah 1:17-2:1

"Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the fish's belly" Jonah 1:17-2:1

Ok, so you didn't listen yesterday - or it was already too late. Now you're in the belly of some great fish. It's dark, it stinks, it's wet and your skin burns a bit with the bleaching acids. Now what are you going to do?

Jonah prayed! Not surprising, is it? Someone said there are no atheists in a fox hole. I imagine that is more true in the stomach of some great big deep diving fish. What did he pray? "I'M SORRY GOD!" was probably a good, simple translation. He asked for forgiveness. He praised God. He turned his face towards the Temple (but I have no idea how he knew which direction to twist!) and worshipped (how in the world did he get his hands over his head?) Then the fish became sick of the whole thing and at God's command belched Jonah up on the shore.

If you are in the belly of that fish, don't you think a bit of prayer might be advisable? What are you going to pray? Some would say, "God, how could you possibly let this happen to me? I'm your best man (or woman). You can't get along without me. Sure I messed up - but this? Do you really think I deserve this?" Making deals with God is probably not the best thing to do in this situation. After all, you did go against Him. That's how you got on the ship to start with. You did run. That's why God sent the storm. You did confess you were at fault. That's why God prepared the fish - he could have let you drown, you know. Did you deserve what you got? NO WAY! You deserved a whole lot worse!

"OK. I'll ask for forgiveness. I'll tell God I was wrong. I'll worship Him for who He is - the almighty God. I'll even thank Him for loving me enough to send this stinking fish." That's good. Do you really mean it? Yes? Good. Ah, yes. The fish has turned east. Your ears pop with the lessening of the pressure on them. You hear the muffled sound of surf through the sides of the fish ----- whoa! You didn't know the fish was that sick of you! You hit the ground - running I hope! Amen and Amen.

No comments: