Monday, January 10, 2011

Psalm 25:1-2

"To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul. O my God, I trust in You; Let me not be ashamed; Let not my enemies triumph over me" Psalm 25:1-2

I remember as a kid how I learned to trust someone. I was on a high place (5 feet seems high to a little kid of 24"!) and I was afraid to get down. It was so far to the ground and I could get hurt if I jumped. But there was my Mother standing just a little bit away. She told me to jump to her. I looked into her eyes and I knew I could trust her to catch me. So I jumped into my mother's arms. I thought she was the strongest woman alive! Later in life, when I became a father myself, I passed the lesson on to my kids. They learned they could trust me, because I could catch them and not drop them! All of a sudden I was the strongest man alive! That trust in Daddy's physical strength eventually translated into trust in Daddy's wisdom, knowledge, and spiritual strength. All five of our children know they can trust Dad.

Trusting the Lord is similar. We learn by trusting Him in small ways. When we see that He is faithful in the small things, we can trust Him in the larger things. Sooner or later, we come to the conclusion that we can trust Him in ALL things. As a little child lifts his arms up to his Mommy or Daddy wanting to be held in their strength, so we need to lift up our souls to Him, the Creator of the universe. When we trust in Him, we will not be afraid - even when our enemies surround us and there seems to be no hope for salvation. We can trust Him because He has proven that He is faithful. We can trust Him to protect us from our enemies. There is none like Him in all of heaven or earth. He will not allow us to suffer without His strength. He will never allow our enemies to gloat over us, for He assures us of the final victory! Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: