Friday, January 7, 2011

Acts 8:37

"Then Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said,"I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." Acts 8:37

It was difficult to understand - that passage from Isaiah. Who was the prophet talking about? Who was this suffering servant? Would the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob really be interested in an Ethiopian? Would He take time to explain it to a sinful, mutilated eunuch? These were questions that possibly passed through the Ethiopian eunuch's mind as he traveled from Jerusalem to his native country. He was confused and doubtful of ever understanding this mysterious religion.

From the side of the road, the eunuch heard a voice. "What was that you asked?" "Do you understand what you are reading?" asked the stranger for the second time. "Honestly, no. I don't understand it. Can you explain it to me?" With that invitation,Philip stepped into the foreigner's chariot and explained the Gospel (the Good News) about Jesus to the seeker. Passing a wide spot in a small stream, the Ethiopian expressed his comprehension by asking, "What hinders me from being baptized? See, here is the water." And Philip baptized him - then disappeared!

The Gospel is not really hard to understand. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ with all your heart and you may be saved. That is not that hard. The eunuch could do it with a few moments of explanation. But there are a couple of keys to this fantastic conversion. 1st the eunuch was seeking. 2nd the Spirit of God was listening. 3rd Philip was willing. 4th God put it all together. These four keys are the same for any conversion. 1st it is useless to preach to a man hardened against the Gospel. It is very fruitful to explain that same Gospel to a man who is wanting answers. 2nd if the Spirit isn't in it, there is no profit. Only the Holy Spirit can properly direct a conversion. You can't and I can't and the greatest preacher in the world can't. 3rd you have to be willing to move with God. Philip left a growing revival to go to the wilderness to reach one man. You may have to travel around the world to reach the one God wants you to talk to - then again you may only have to talk across the fence. 4th God must put the circumstances together. It does no good to force a conversation about God even though the hearer is a seeker, the Spirit is working, and you are willing unless God has put everything together. He knows the circumstances and the times and the moods of every man, woman, and child.

All four of these keys must be used in proper sequence if a soul is to be won to Christ. Perhaps you have beat your head against a locked door because you didn't use these keys. Now you know. Your head will thank you for it. Perhaps you are a seeker and God has sent this Scripture thought just for you. Perhaps it is the final key to your salvation. If so, accept Him now!

Trust your life to God the Father today. You can do it by trusting in His Son, Jesus Christ. Go ahead. Right now. Ask Jesus to be your Savior. A simple prayer like "Jesus,I am a sinner. I have failed to live my life in a right manner. I know that. I know that I can never make it right. Please,forgive me. Purify me through your Blood which cleanses me of all my sins. I accept you as my Savior - my redeemer - the only one who can make me right with God. I receive you as my Lord - my Master - I desire to serve you all the rest of the days of my life. Thank you, Jesus! Amen." If you prayed that prayer for the first time, please e-mail me and let me know. Welcome into the family. Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: