Tuesday, January 18, 2011

John 5:19

"Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner." John 5:19

In today's verse Jesus says that He can do nothing but what He sees the Father doing. Isn't that something. If it is true that Jesus only did what His Father did, then shouldn't we be exactly doing the same? But how different we run our lives. How often we drive down the road of life doing our own thing, happy as can be - until something happens - something goes wrong. Then who do we blame? Where do we turn? Ever prayed this prayer? "Lord, help me! I've gotten myself in a big mess. I need you to fix it for me." Something is wrong here.

First of all, I never see Jesus praying that prayer! Why didn't He? He didn't have to. He always sought the Father's advise before He did anything. Remember he would spend all night in prayer even after the disciples would be fast asleep. Even - no especially - before the day of His death, He spent the night in prayer. What did He pray? "Lord, if it is your will, take this cup from me. But not my will but Yours be done." Even in this trying time, He was willing to do the Father's perfect will.

This leads to the second thing that is wrong. We seldom ask God for direction before we set out. We seem to think we know everything - until we are proved wrong. Instead, we need to be like Jesus. We need to seek the Father's will before we act.

Imagine the difference in our lives if we knew what God wanted in every circumstance. We can, you know. The Father is more than willing to tells us when and where to go. What and whom to do it with - everything. Even if there seems to be no obvious answer, this prayer always seems to work: "Father, it looks like a door is open to me. I have sought Your will and still don't have a clear direction. I will proceed to go through this door, but I ask that You close it if You don't want me to." Trust me, I have had more doors closed because of this prayer - but I have also pried open a few that He had nailed shut!

I suggest that you avoid this action at all cost! Let's follow Jesus pattern. Let's watch the Father and do what He does. Let's ask Him and do what He says. I can guarantee that our lives will be safer, fuller and richer than ever before. Amen and Amen.

No comments: