Thursday, August 26, 2010

Job 10:18

"Why then have You brought me out of the womb? Oh, that I had perished and no eye had seen me!" Job 10:18

Why me, oh Lord. Why did you let this happen to me?

Ever heard those words uttered before. Have you said them yourself? As I look back on my life, most of the "Why me's" have been a result of my own actions. I can hardly blame anyone else for those. For example, Carmel and I went on a mini vacation a few months ago. I felt the Lord telling me not to. I heard my wife saying that it wasn't necessary. We went anyway and had a terrible time. I asked, "Why me?" As the days wore on and mysterious things happened, and I even came home with a flu, once again I asked "WHY ME?" Upon contemplation over the years, I have come to the conclusion that the "Why me" of that situation could be answered with a "Because of your stupidity and rebellion." I admit it. There was no just cause to accuse God of causing me pain.

Job, on the other hand, had just cause. He was nearly perfect. He was doing his best to live the way God wanted him to live.He kept all the holy days. He paid his tithes. He was honest. He even sacrificed on behalf of his children in case they committed some grievous sin! What more could a righteous God ask? Still, he was inflicted with great financial and personal reversals. Even his children were ripped from his presence by death. All he had left was a spot in the dump, festering boils, shards of pottery to scrape the wounds seeking relief, an ungrateful wife, and three mixed up friends! Indeed, Job could ask "Why me?" and be justified.

He did ask. Eventually he received an answer. It wasn't what He wanted, but it was an answer. "Can you make the sun to rise? Can you cause the tides to flow? Can you bring life where there is no life?" These are the type of questions God asked Job in response to his questions. After Job admitted he could do none of the above, God asked him to do something relatively simple. "Forget the whys and simply praise me in spite of the wrongs." When Job did, his life was restored.

I often ask Pastors about the Job syndrome, I do get answers. I don't necessarily like it. "You have them because they need what only they can offer. They need to see Jesus in you. Touch them with your love, your concern, and your mercy. I am here to show the way to God the Father through Jesus Christ.

Come to think of it, that is why all of us are here, present Jesus to a world of lost people. Amen and Amen.

No comments: