Friday, April 16, 2010

Phil 4:9

"The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you" Phil 4:9

Little girls like to dress up in mommy's clothes. Shoes and hats have a special attraction. Any of us who have had daughters know this to be true.

Little boys do the same. They want to be like daddy in every way. Daddy is their hero, there is none like him. I have to admit. I tried on my Dad's shoes when I was little. Now my big toe would hardly fit in those shoes! I learned a lot from my Dad. Some of them good. I sometimes have to fight off some of the things I don't want to copy.

We all have those little annoying traits, too. The tapping of the fingers or toes while we drive or the little smack of the lips as we read a book. Or the way we sip a cup of coffee. Or the way we steal the blankets at night. Those are things that we would rather our children not copy. Carmel likes to crunch down on hard candies which drives me nuts. Of course there are other things that turn little children into fearful babes. But that is another Devotional.

Paul was bold. He said that if we would emulate what we saw in him and heard from him, that the peace of God would be with us. In short he was saying, "Do as I do and you will see Jesus." Quite a boast. But, then, isn't that what we are all supposed to be doing? Modeling Jesus. Most of us would shy away from such a statement concerning our own lives. But we shouldn't. If we are trying to live for Jesus, then people who follow in our footsteps will see Jesus. Right?

If you don't think that is correct, then you need to examine your lives to see where you are headed. It's like the lady who was caught in a deep fog. She found some tail lights ahead of her and decided that she would follow them until the fog lifted. Suddenly the car ahead stopped. Hitting the breaks, she shouted out the window, "Why did you stop?" The other driver answered, "Because I'm at HOME!"

If people follow us, as believers, they should eventually come into the household of God! Keep those lights shining! Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: