Friday, March 12, 2010

Romans 8:28

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

"I've learned that if you stay focused on yourself, you are guaranteed to be miserable." Age 71 "I've learned that no one can keep a secret." Age 17 "I've learned that you shouldn't handcuff yourself to your little brother and dare him to swallow the key." Age 11 "I've learned that the exact size drill bit I need is always the one that's missing from the set." Age 46. Again all from the same book!

I've learned that no matter what happens, if I believe God is in control and trust Him completely, He will make everything work out all right. I was flying to Okinawa some years back. As the plane was about to take off, clouds began to form. If you've ever flown through and above those "cotton candy clouds", you know how beautiful are. Unfortunately, when I left Okinawa after ten days' stay, a typhoon entered behind us, thunderstorms began to form. We were, however, above the tops of even those clouds or were able to fly around them. As I looked out the window, I noted to a friend sitting next to me that this is how storms look to God... light and fluffy... while we see only the dark, churning, underside of those same clouds!

When I am able to look at my storms through God's eyes, they become so much less significant. Sure, the winds may blow, and the rains may fall. Typhoons may destroy and floods may wash away houses, but from God's viewpoint, these are simply temporary setbacks on the path to our real home... the home where neither moth nor rust corrupts.

This had been a hard winter for parts of the world. Many areas had experienced severe flooding. Snow has left many without power for days. Severe cold has left a path of ruined crops. Perhaps you are among those who have suffered such losses...or worse. Trust the Lord. Maybe you suffer from physical disease that promises to destroy this life. Hold fast the course. God sees your beginning and your end. It could be that you have suffered the loss of a loved one. God not only feels your pain, He is able to be your comforter and ever-present companion. Rely upon Him.

I've learned that nothing surprises God. He has seen it all. He knows how to handle every problem we may face. All we have to do is allow Him to do His job. He will work it out for our good. Oh, it may take a while for us to see the positive in the negatives that are hounding us. But they are there... just as the storm clouds that dumped rain on Okinawa were nothing but white, bright, fluffy clouds at 35,000 feet!

I've learned to keep my eyes open when riding a roller coaster. That way I can see where I am going and lean into the curves and prepare for the hills. Life is a roller coaster filled with some of the most unusual and torturous twists imaginable. We must keep our eyes open and focused upon the One who holds our future. He will see us down the final hill and into our heavenly homes!

This is what I have learned so far. Amen and Amen.

No comments: