Tuesday, March 2, 2010

1 Kings 19:19

"So he departed from there, and found Elisha the son of Shaphat, who was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen before him, and he was with the twelfth. Then Elijah passed by him and threw his mantle on him." 1 Kings 19:19

Sometimes God speaks after a big bang. Elisha, on the other hand, was called without a word.

Elijah knew that God was preparing to replace him. He had done some fantastic things himself, yet he seemed to be running out of steam. He no longer had the emotion that God needed in His spokesman. Thus, Elijah was told that Elisha would replace him, and Elijah would be the one to train his replacement. I hate it when that happens, but I try to handle it with the grace of Elijah.

So Elijah set out to find his apprentice and found him plowing in his father's fields. Now it could be argued that Elisha was no ordinary man. He was the son of a very wealthy farmer, Elisha's father had twelve yoke of oxen plowing in his field, that is the equivalent of twelve tractors all working the same farm. That, my friends, is wealth. But Elisha was ordinary, he was plowing with the twelfth pair. Elisha was no spoiled rotten kid who played tea party with the girls while the work was done for him. No, he was a farm boy just like any other farm boy. I suspect he even spoke with a country accent.

Evidently, Elisha was in a quiet mood, had been since the big episode on Mt. Carmel, for he simply walked up to Elisha and placed his mantle, his over-cloak, on Elisha's shoulder and walked on. No words were exchanged. It doesn't even appear that the two exchanged deep looks. A simple passing of the mantle, but that was enough for Elisha to understand. It would be kind of like father tossing me the key to his car, and handing me the title. I would know what father was saying, "Son, she's all yours. Treat her with care and she will last a long time." Elijah was saying, "Follow me. You are the next great prophet. Or, don't follow me, the choice is yours."

Elisha felt the urging of God, stopped his plowing, ran after Elijah, and asked for a day to put his affairs in order before he followed. Elijah was in no hurry to train this new guy, but he assented to the request, and Elisha accepted the call.

For most of us, God's call is like this. There are no great speeches given at some great rally. There are no fireworks flashing and booming in the sky. Some man or woman of God simply walks by, taps you on the shoulder, and confirms what God has been saying in your spirit for days, weeks, months, or even years. The still small voice says, "Follow this one. He has a lot to teach you before you do my work." Or there may be no individual at all.

As God called Elijah with a still small voice after the great sacrifice, the Father might just be urging you through your reading of the Word and the solid teaching of your church group. He might be calling you to the mission field, or the ministry. Or He might just be calling you to be available when He needs you to do what you find comes naturally. God's call is most often like that, still, quiet, yet disturbing. You are no longer able to rest peacefully at night knowing that you have not said, "Here am I, Lord. Send me." Or, "I have no great abilities, but what I have is yours." Or, "Give me a day to set my affairs in order then do with me as you will." Amen and Amen.

No comments: