Sunday, June 14, 2009

Psalm 23:1-2

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters" Psalm 23:1-2

Range sheep are totally dependent upon the shepherd. You see, sheep are dumb critters. They will follow just about anything that they are familiar with. They will follow another sheep over a cliff or down a steep ravine and into deep trouble. It is just their nature. They will eat all the grass in a pasture and not know where to go for more food. They will only drink out of certain types of water supplies. Running water - I think not. Rolling, rapid water - uhh uhh. A sheep is fearful of those kinds of water with good reason. With all that wool on their backs, they would quickly become water logged and drown. But, they don't know how to find still waters. That is why they need a shepherd.

Jesus says that a steward or hired hand will not work. Number one, they don't care for the sheep. If a lion comes, they will turn tail and run. Number two, the sheep don't know the "new guy." They won't follow a hireling they don't know. He must earn their trust.

Years ago, I visited some friends in a small town in England. They lived on a farm and had a few sheep - in a pen. Being from Hong Kong, I thought I would like to feel one of those woolly critters. Sure! As I approached the fence, the sheep ran. When I followed them, it became a circus. No way would those sheep let me get close - they didn't know me!

The Lord is my shepherd. I know Him. I trust Him. He feeds me and takes care of all my needs. He leads me to green pastures where the grass is rich and good. He won't let me stay in one place too long for fear I will destroy the pasture. He leads me to quiet waters. He knows my fears. He keeps me well away from danger.

He wants to be your shepherd too. Won't you follow Him? He is totally trustworthy. Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: