Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Genesis 5:24

"And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him" Gen 5:24

What is it about walking? I fellowship with Sampson. Is that the same? I worked with Walter. Doesn't that count? I live with Carmel - she wants me to walk with her to get exercise. What's wrong with living? Isn't that enough?

Enoch walked with God. Noah walked with God. It doesn't actually say it, but Adam walked with God in the garden of Eden. Why walk and not work or fellowship or live? I've come to a conclusion. The man or woman who walks with someone knows them better than anyone else. When a person walks with you, you talk. You share intimacies. You share the joys and sorrows of the day. You share your dreams; your hopes; your innermost desires.

Walking with someone involves personal contact - not necessarily a touch - but a one on one contact that is missing in other relationships. Sampson and I talk when we fellowship on the ferry ride up and back from the City - but he's reading the newspapers and I'm busy doing what I'm doing. Do I know Sampson? Yes, pretty well. Can I read him like a book? I don't think so. When we fellowship together, I know his basic needs - and he knows the same of me. But I don't know him like I would if we were both walking together.

When you are side by side with someone, neither is superior. Both are equal - though one may well be the mentor, leader, teacher and the other the student and follower. Even in a crowd, two people walking together are alone in their own world.

Three people walking together isn't the same. One is always on the outside of the conversations. One is always missing something. Only two walking together share an intimacy that is precious indeed.

So Enoch walked with God. He knew God. He shared with God. God was the mentor. Enoch was the student. God was the leader. Enoch was the follower. But they knew each other - well - so well that one day while on their walk, God must have said something like, "Enoch, we're closer to my house than yours. Why don't you come home with me?" And Enoch agreed. And Enoch was no more.

I want to walk with God. I want to know God. I want to be intimate with Him. I want to share my hopes and dreams and joys and sorrows. I have only one problem with that. I want to bring my friend, the world, with me. And I miss the intimacy of a twosome. God, help each of us to walk with you - daily - every day of our lives. Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: