Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Matthew 5:14-16

"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. "Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven" Matthew. 5:14-16

They dug deep into the heart of the earth. Searching for diamonds was not easy, nor was it clean. Crawling through natural caverns. Slithering through muddy gaps in the subterranean labyrinth was as far from the life of a stockbroker as a person could get, but for Mike Chan and his buddies, that is all they wanted to do. To the best of their knowledge and reckoning they had travel at least five thousand yards from where they entered the cave. They had seen all the evidence that lead them to believe a diamond trove was somewhere nearby. With lanterns lit, they confidently moved ahead. A few more feet and one lantern burned dim and flickered out. No problem, Jack had spare batteries in his pack. But where was Jack? He was supposed to bring up the rear, streaming their lifeline behind him. Now he was nowhere in sight. Another lamp died. Which way was out? How long would the two remaining lanterns hold? A third beam dimmed and died. Then the fourth blew out in a flash of blue as Mike dropped it from his helmet. Darkness filled the cavern. Darkness filled their sight. Darkness filled their minds with dread and fear. Darkness...

I don't know about you, but I don't like to be in total darkness. Come to think of it, I really don't like dark holes and slime and being under thousands of tons of earth. Mike and his buddies can have their search for diamonds. I will stay on the surface and enjoy their fictional story as I create it in my mind. This I do know, if I ever did explore a cave, I would make sure of two things. I would have plenty of light power, and I would trail a rope so I could find my way out - even in the pitch-black depths of a cave. There is no way I would ever want to be without light. Jesus tells us that we live in a world without light. The darkness of sin permeates the environment around us. We can do one of two things. We can hide our light and save it for ourselves, or we can set it on a candle stand so all can see and come to the safety of the Light, Jesus Christ.

I recall a little Bible School song I learned a long time ago. "This little light of mine/ I'm gonna let it shine. / This little light of mine/I'm gonna let I shine/ Let it shine/ Let it shine/ Let it shine. Won't let satan blow it out./ I'm gonna let it shine./ Won't let satan blow it out./ I'm gonna let it shine./ Let it shine Let it shine/ Let it shine." Is your light shining? Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: