Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Luke 10:27-28

"So he answered and said, "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." And He said to him, "You have answered rightly; do this and you will live" Luke 10:27-28

A friend of mine had two dogs, German Shepherds, one male and one female. The female was somewhat docile and easily cowed. The male was rather mean and intimidating. I often visited my friend and became acquainted with his animals. I could learn to love the female; she became friendly. The male and I appeared to be sworn enemies. We never approached anything remotely associated with friendship though he did ignore me after a time. One was loveable because it was loving. The other was respected because of its fierceness but never loved.

I have known children who share the same temperaments of those two German Shepherds. The ones who climb into my lap and make themselves at home are loved. The ones who shriek and hide whenever they look at me are respected as children, but not loved.

Likewise, I have had bosses who share similar characteristics. Some are mean and gruff, growling at every good and bad deed. These are respected and obeyed because they have instilled a sense of fear in me. Others are loved because they truly and honestly care about me as an individual. If my wife is ill, they ask about her. If a son or daughter is to be married, they not only send a nice gift; they attend the wedding. These are loved... because they love.

When it comes to the "love the Lord your God" requirement for believers, we can approach that "loving" with similar attitudes. If we experience God as the Law Giver, an old Man with a white beard who says, "Thou shalt not" and seldom responds, "Yes, My son," then we have a respect for God because He is to be feared.

If we know God as a loving Father... one who is concerned about us and is willing to help us through times of trouble, it will be easier to love Him. We should not fall into the trap of believing that God is a big "Teddy Bear" of a fellow with a fat belly and a ready laugh who has deep pockets and a bag full of "Hershey's Kisses." While God does indeed love us to distraction, He is also a disciplinarian who will apply the "rod of correction" in a spiritual sense in order to keep our souls pure and holy. Still, even then we know that God loves us... and it is easy to love Him in return. It all depends upon our understanding of God.

I pray that you know Him as the benevolent, loving Father that He truly is. After all, He did simplify the law and sent His Spirit to help us obey the one commandment, to love the Lord thy God and love your neighbor as yourself. Amen and Amen.

No comments: