Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Josh. 22:5

"But take careful heed to do the commandment and the law which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways, to keep His commandments, to hold fast to Him, and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul" Josh. 22:5

Sometimes the obvious is the most difficult to see. Sherlock Holmes often found the convicting evidence where no one else bothered to look, right out in the open. In "The Case of the Purloined Letter" Holmes found the missing document in plain site but overlooked through numerous searches by Scotland Yard.

The question often asked by Christians is, "Why am I here? Why did God create me?" We struggle with that question from the time we first realize that God has a purpose and plan for our lives. In my case that question came when I was a teenager. For others, the question was asked at a much later stage in life because they came to the Lord much later than I. Still, no matter when we come to Jesus, we all eventually ask the question in one form or another.

So, when did I find the answer, you may be asking. I found it a few years ago when I realized that my mission, my purpose, my reason for existing is the same as yours. Joshua summarized it in a very simple way in today's verse. Read it again.

Why am I here? Why are you here? What are we to do with our lives? We are to love God, walk in His ways, keep His commandments, cling to Him and serve Him with all that we have. Sherlock, move over. Joshua has announced the question that all mankind has been asking for thousands of years. And that answer is as obvious... now... as was the stolen letter to Mr. Holmes.

Ah, but there must be more to it than that! There's not. That is God's plan. In its very simplicity, it is very complicated, not that God makes it so. It is our interpretation that makes it so difficult. Amen and Amen.

No comments: