Saturday, November 27, 2010

Luke 9:61

"Lord, I will follow you but..." Luke 9:61

Are you a conditional Christian? Yes Lord, I will obey you so long as you allow me to use my own common sense. Lord, I will obey just don't ask me to take a step out into the dark. Lord, I would like to tithe, but just give me enough money to do it. Lord, I would like to obey you , but That kind of obedience God doesn't need. He will ask you to take a step of faith, and then a leap of faith. How else can He prove His love for you?

The problem is, that is exactly what Jesus demands from us. He wants our trust to be in Him and Him only. He wants that same reckless sporting spirit of leaping out in faith, that natural man exhibits without Him. There is no other way that He is able to use us, to the extent that He intends, unless we are willing to risk everything. Doggedly we cling to our old habits and intellects. We want to measure and weigh all that He asks of us, and sometimes He will allow us to do that. But by enlarge, we know what he wants us to do and there is no reason not to it except that we do not take Him at His word. You will find that when you do, it will fit as solidly as your common sense and you will be awestruck at the outcome. The alternative is that we remain too earthly bound to be of any heavenly good. Amen and Amen.

No comments: