Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Psalm 70:5

"But I am poor and needy; Make haste to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay" Psalm 70:5

"Poor" is not a word I associate with David. It is difficult for me to fathom David in poverty. Though a shepherd boy, he was the son of a wealthy land owner. Then he became a member of the royal house hold, enjoying the privileges of that position. Perhaps during his period of fleeing from Saul, David experienced a bit of poverty - but he was rich in friends. Then he became king of all Israel and collected great wealth, both personal and national. No "poor" and "David" don't fit too well in the same sentence.

Yet, David says in today's verse that he is not only poor, but needy. That seems to mean "destitute." I know what it means to be poor. I have lived parts of my life in that condition. There have been times that we lived in sub-standard housing. We have lived on the handouts of others. We have experienced what it is like to go to the cupboard and find it bare. But "destitute"? I have never been destitute. I don't really know how to define the word. At least not from experience.

How could David have been needy? What happened to him that drove him to pray this prayer? I believe David is talking about poverty and destitution of soul, not body. There had been times that he fit this description. When Saul was trying to kill him, he could have felt needy, destitute. After all, going from the king's palace to living in caves is a rather hard come-down. Then there is the experience with Bathsheba, while he was king, a wealthy one at that. I can see how he would feel destitute then. Or when his son, Absalom, was ravishing his wives in Jerusalem and he was fleeing for his life, yes, he could easily have felt like his great spiritual wealth had deserted him then. God had abandoned him - or he had abandoned God. That would make him feel destitute. Anytime a person who has come to know God on an intimate basis finds himself without God, he feels severe poverty of spirit. I can understand that. I've felt it. I have spent some time on the "outs" with God. And I have been the poorer for it.

But David, in his poverty, his destitution, cried out to the source of all riches. He cried out for a quick deliverance. He plead for a rapid return to the riches of God's presence. Was his prayer answered? We have only to turn to the records in Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles to see that David did not languish in poverty, physical nor spiritual. Indeed God did return to him and restore him.

He has done the same for me. The times I felt lost, He came when I cried out to Him. He comforted me in my lostness and despair. He restored my spirit, my wealth, His presence. Did I suffer loss? Yes. Was I a better man for having suffered? Certainly, for it is in the dark valleys of our lives that Jesus becomes more real. It is in our poverty that His riches shine brightest.

Perhaps you are in one of those valleys now. Perhaps you are crying out for God to deliver you from your poverty and need. He will reply. He will restore. He will, I promise. Better yet, He promises. And He will never fail. Hang in there, I hear the sound of the bugler of God. Help is on the way! Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: