Thursday, May 28, 2009

Psalm 30: 11-12

"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever" Psalm 30:11-12

I went to a funeral some time ago where there was mourning - mourning like in Jesus' time. The family was there and they were crying their eyes out. One family member had to be removed from the service; her grief was so bad. It was only later that I learned that the family had been at odds with each other and that the whole thing was an act!

On the other hand, I went to a funeral of a good friend, a good, practicing Christian. His funeral was much different. Yes, there was the ubiquitous tear, but there was something else too. There was a genuine joy present among the family and friends who knew our friend was with Jesus! How different the two were.

David says that God had turned his mourning into dancing. How strange. I can't quite imagine a funeral being turned into a dance party! Still, I think I know what he meant. Because of the great deeds the Lord has done for us, we should find it hard to stay sad for very long - that is if our eyes are on Him and not ourselves. We do have that choice. We can look to our own suffering and sorrow and be miserable. OR we can look to our Lord and His kindness toward us and be happy.

Come to think of it, we have that choice in all matters. We can choose to let the circumstances burden us down, or we can choose to rejoice in God no matter what is happening. Which do you choose today? I know some of you are suffering. Times are rough. Things aren't going well. Cheer up, God is still on the throne and He will not let you suffer if you will turn to Him. Open your mouth in spite of your sorrow and sing praise to Him. Don't suffer in silence. Give Him thanks for all He has done for you. He will set you Free. Hallelujah, Amen and Amen.

No comments: