Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Acts 20:23-24

"Except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God" Acts 20:23-24.


The Apostle Paul is speaking in these verses. He is telling of his final trip to Jerusalem before his arrest and detention and ultimate trip to Rome. Paul says that at each stop along the way, the prophets and prophetesses would indicate that he would be bound in Jerusalem. Of course they wanted him to go elsewhere -- anywhere -- to remain a free man. But Paul would not be swayed from the direction the Lord was leading him. The Lord said "Jerusalem" so Jerusalem it would be. If he was to be put in bonds, so be it. If it meant certain death, he did not hold life so dear that he was not willing to sacrifice it for his Lord and Savior. Paul was focused -- (like a kind of tunnel vision) focused on Jesus. Nothing else mattered to him but doing the will of his King.


In this Paul was adamant -- and we should be as well. Nothing -- no person, no possession, no government, no power or authority, nothing -- should keep us from doing the will of our Father. But, alas, we live in a land far to influenced by "Stuff." Who among you can walk through a department store and exit the store without making a purchase? When the kids and grandkids come over to play, do we hide our most valued possessions so they will not get broken? What is more valuable, grandma's whatnot or a grandchild? If our TV or DVD player breaks, do we rush out to replace it with something even better? I'll admit, I long for a flat screen TV, but I
still don't have it.


Stuff or things do separate us from our appointed purpose and plan. How often have we not gone to church so we could watch the "soccer game" live? (I've tried recording the FA Cup Finals -- it's just not the same! But I go to church anyway.) When Carmel and I get away to Xavier House (A Christian Retreat in the Cheung Chau with no phones in the rooms and no TV, radio, etc.) we find ourselves much closer to God. And I found I could do without TV or radio or a refrigerator or even a lot of food. But how quickly I fell into the old patterns when I returned to "civilization". How sad that I have to resort to solitude in the retreat housein order to "hear Gods voice louder." The affairs of this world are indeed a distraction to me. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes my focus is blurred. Will you be the second? Amen and Amen.

No comments: