Sunday, July 13, 2008

1 John 2:9

"He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now" 1 John 2:9.

My Mother used to tell me to "do as I say, not as I do." By this she meant that she was not perfect. She made mistakes. But she knew what was right and that I should to that instead of always following in her footsteps.

I remember once seeing the picture of a man laying in the bottom of a pit. Up above, a child is following in daddy's steps in the snow. Daddy shouts, "Son, do as I say. Don't follow me into this pit. I want you to turn around and follow our footprints back out of these woods and back home. Tell your Momma to call the police and bring help."

John says in today's verse that it's not what we say that makes us righteous. It's how we treat our brother. I can say I am a believer until the cows come home. I can shout it from the roof tops. I can paint it on billboards. I can write it in big bold letters on my car. I can even carry a cross across the country -- but if I have hatred in my heart, I am not a child of God.

The apostle is telling us that it's what's on the inside that counts. Jesus said it a couple of other ways. "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." (Matt. 12:23) He also said "religious people" were like "whitewashed tombs. On the outside they looked beautiful. On the inside they were defiled with dead men's bones." (Matt. 23:27)

As a Pastor I always try to be a true believer. But I have to admit that sometimes I get a little dark. Things come out of my mouth that shock me. It makes me realize that while I have been redeemed, not all that is in me has been equally saved. There are still chambers of my heart that harbor dark secrets, a sinful nature that must be revealed to the Light of the world -- that's Jesus.

However, it is with great confidence that I say to you "Do as I say -- but follow in my foot steps as well. Either way you will see Jesus." Amen and Amen.

No comments: