Sunday, April 6, 2008

Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Loving God, as you opened the tomb and raised Jesus to new life, so open our hearts and
minds by the power of your Holy Spirit that as your Word is proclaimed, we may hear with
joy what you say to us, and in confidence go forth to live what you show us. We ask it in
Jesus' name. Amen.

The 23rd Psalm is probably the best known, most loved, most quoted portion of Scripture. 
It is so familiar that people who seldom if ever read a Bible or go to church can often still
quote a portion of this Psalm.
 
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He
leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear
no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and thy staff they comfort me. You prepare a table
before me in the presence of my enemies, You anoint my head with oil, My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the
house of the Lord for ever.
 
One problem, though, is since this Psalm is so often requested at death-beds and funerals;
many people too often associate the 23rd Psalm with death and dying. But the Psalm is
really for the living. It speaks to the living - those who are fully alive in the true sense of the
word.

A baseball player by the name of Roy Campanella, got involved in an bad accident some
years ago that left him a semi-invalid. In his autobiography he talks about the many nights
he cried himself to sleep, about the pain that racked his body and his sinking into deep
depression.
 
He writes, all my life whenever I was in trouble, I had turned to God for help.  I remembered
my Bible and asked the nurse to the get the one from the drawer in the night table. I opened
it to the 23rd Psalm: `Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will
fear no evil; for thou art with me.'

"From that moment on", he wrote, "I was on my way back. I knew I was going to make it!"

There are hundreds and thousands of testimonies like this - of how persons have found in
this simple Psalm the comfort, strength, and the assurance that they are going to make it!
 
I'm sure many of you can tell your own stories about what this psalm has personally meant
to you.

Psalm 23 not only gives comfort to the dying, it also gives courage, strength, and hope to
those who are alive.
 
One of the things we must understand about it, is that the 23rd Psalm is steeped in the
language and customs of shepherding and sheep in Palestine back in biblical times. If we
do not know anything about the customs of shepherds and the unique relationship between
the good shepherd and the sheep, then much of what this Psalm has to say simply passes us
by.
 
What I am going to talk about this morning is focus on just one small part of the Psalm -
verse 4:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for you are with
me. Your rod and thy staff they comfort me. You may be interested to know that tradition
tells us that the Valley of the Shadow of Death is a real place in Israel. It is a valley, or a
mountain pass, that got its name from shepherds because of it's steep sides and sheer rock
walls. But it was a pass that enabled the shepherds to lead their sheep from one mountain
pasture to another. However it was a terrifying place for skittish, defenseless, fearful sheep:
for in the steep cliffs on both sides of the valley there were numerous caves and rocks and
crevices that were perfect hiding place for animals of prey - and for people who meant harm
to passing travellers. Sounds would echo and amplify in the valley, making it a terrifying
place for sheep.
 
We look at the Psalm and hear:
The Lord is my shepherd.... He makes me lie down in green pastures.... He leads me by still
water.... He leads me in paths of righteousness.
 
But now the sheep are in the Valley of the Shadow of Death.
 
Question:  How did they get there?
-- We have to assume that the Good Shepherd has led the sheep into the valley.
 
Now, the images in this Psalm are very clear.  The shepherd is the Lord Himself.  Indeed,
from our Gospel reading, we hear that Jesus identifies himself as the Good Shepherd.
The shepherd is the Lord. And, of course, we, the people of God are the sheep.
 
And what is the Valley of the Shadow of Death?  
 
It is those terrifying, dark, lonely, frightening times in life -- times of sickness, tragedy,
emotional stress, tension, economic disaster, loneliness, all the times when God may seem
far away.
 
But we can see from here that it is the Good Shepherd who leads the sheep into the Valley
of the Shadow of Death.
 
But we must remember that the shepherd has a purpose: The shepherd takes the sheep
from pastures that are now eaten up and barren, where food is scarce and the land is
parched, to new lush, green meadows. But to get there, the shepherd and the sheep have
to pass through the valley. The sheep do not understand this. The sheep cannot really
understand the purposes of the shepherd. All that the sheep experience are the frightening,
terrifying surroundings. And you can imagine how nervous and scared that they get.
 
But the shepherd knows.  The shepherd has a reason, a purpose.  And the sheep have
learned to trust the shepherd.
 
As Jesus said,
 
"My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and
they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand."
 
Yes, the sheep have grown to trust the shepherd.  The shepherd has proven trustworthy
and so the sheep follow the shepherd even through the Valley of the Shadow of Death,
"fearing no evil."
 
And so it is the Good Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ, who leads us through troubled
and difficult times of life. But he has a reason, a purpose - to lead us to greened pastures,
to deeper faith. He calls on each and every of us to trust in him, to put our faith in him,
even when we cannot always see his plan or purpose.
 
But we all trust the Good Shepherd, because we know the shepherd is trustworthy.
 
Another thing we need to realize is that there is a world of difference between death and
the shadow of death. The shadow may be frightening, dark, and cold, but they are just
shadows, not the real thing.
 
What is death?  
 
Death - real death - is the separation from the awareness of God's love and grace.  Death is
being afraid of God. It does not matter how strong or healthy and safe or secure you may
think you are, if you live outside of the love of God, if God is someone you do not know
or have come to fear, then you are among the living dead. You are living in death.
 
But St. Paul tells us that Christ has taken up our death into life!   Into the resurrection life
prepared for all who trust in him.
 
Do you remember that time when Jesus came to the tomb of his good friend, Lazarus, and
he met his sisters, Mary and Martha, how Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and the life.
Those who believe in me, even though they die, yet shall they live, and everyone who lives
and believes in me will never die."
 
The promise that we Christians have every day of our lives, is that we will never die.  We
will never be separated from the love of God that we have through Jesus Christ.
 
But there will still be those times when we experience the valley of the shadow of death.  
There will be those times when we might feel forsaken, abandoned, alone, rejected, there
will always be those troubled times when we may wonder where God is.
 
The valley of the shadow of death are those times when we feel forsaken, but by faith we
know that we are not, because we have both God's promise,and the experience of God's
grace and love for us throughout the past.
 
When we are in the Valley of the Shadow of Death, we may feel as if God is far away, but
deep down inside we can know that God is very near. God promises us life - life in this
world, and life in the world to come. Christians don't die. God simply calls us from one
life to another.
 
But as long as we live in this world of sin and suffering, we will always experience the
shadow of death.
  
And that can be a terrifying experience for each and everyone of us.  At that terrifying time
is it is good to recall how the Good Shepherd is leading us to green pastures where he will
restore our souls. To remember that he is preparing a table for me - a table that contains
the bread of heaven and the wine of everlasting and abundant joy..
 
Listen to the voice of the shepherd when you are in the valley of the shadow of death.
Listen and know that he is leading to a better place.
 
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for you, O
Lord, are with me. Your rod and your staff comfort me.
 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my  life.  And I will dwell in the
house of the Lord forever.
 
Blessed be the name of our God - now and forevermore.  Amen

No comments: